I have held a wide variety of jobs in the campaign industry, and in every position I have faced challenges and developed unique solutions by creatively combining political networks, volunteer power and innovative technology.
Center for American Progress
Built a network of over 50,000 policy community Influentials. Received a MarketingSherpa Email Marketing Award for the program I created to micro-target email to our policy community, increasing the number of policy emails opened and read each month from 900 to 37,000.
Arizona Democratic Party
Created a committee system for the ADP State Executive Committee to conduct strategic planning processes and ongoing improvements in the areas of local party committee leadership development, community outreach, candidate recruiting and services, community service projects and events.
New Hampshire Democratic Party
Ran canvassing, GOTV and innovative word-of-mouth outreach operations for Coos County, NH. Coos County out-performed the state average by 6 points in this election, despite performing just at or below the state average in other election years.
In this highly insulated and largely rural area, I worked with community leaders to reach hard to access voters through local events like “ham and bean” dinners, at foot-traffic nodes like post offices and gas stations and through local advertising on popular French language radio programs.
Democratic Party of Virginia
In 2007, created a blueprint for the DPVA to integrate Internet outreach tools into their communications and organizing infrastructure.
Jim Webb for Senate
In 2006 – helped created one of the first ever online volunteer management systems for a grassroots campaign inundated with 200 new volunteers a day. Our system included:
- a web-based sign up form to capture volunteer contact information, location, professional skills and activity preferences, and then route it to coordinators for campaign departments, volunteer activities and regions for personal follow-up,
- an email newsletter distributed to all contacts containing talking points, upcoming activities and events, and contact information for project coordinators, and
- an online resource center including downloadable campaign materials.
John Edwards for Senate
Worked with Political Director Brad Thompson to map the political community, identify influential organizations and research organization leadership. Designed a contact database searchable by political identity groups and issue areas.
For Jerry Brown’s mayoral inaugural in 1998, I managed community leaders and over 1000 volunteers to create 10 simultaneous visual and performing arts events for a celebration attended by 20,000 people.
The Next Generation
- Founded `watchdog’ group for the California Power Authority (CPA) during energy crisis.
- Developed strategy leading to CPA commitment to a $5 billion investment in renewable energy.
- Developed action team of over 300 leaders of environmental and public interest organizations.
- Set up meetings between clients and the “Energy Czar” David Freeman.
- Edited 2002 `Green Watchdog’ report on environmental tax and budget policy.
- Successfully lobbied against state tax breaks for power plants.